A couple of things have been annoying me recently … the lack of speedo drive and temperature gauge. Time to get them done.

The lovely Yoshimura temp gauge was a relatively easy fit … added bonus that it covers the scratched top yoke. The cables route nicely – down along the inside of the tank and down the left side past the generator, through the cable run in front of the sprocket and under to the oil drain plug. I wanted to go to the oil gallery on the lower left, but the plug is obscured by the frame, and I really didn’t want to drop the engine or the sump to get to the plug. It caused some initial procrastination, but in the end I just opted to use the sump plug.

IMG_8843.jpg

Next up is the speedo – it’s been a bit of an epic so far. I cannot find anything on the internet that suggests someone else has a TL1000S set of forks in a Katana 750 frame – so we are trail blazing :o) The challenge is to get a working speedo using the Katana clocks.

It started with a bit of internet research – looking at a variety of speedo drives that match the 25mm spindle size of the TL1000S forks mated to a Bandit 1200 front wheel. it looked like either a ZX7R, ZXR750, Mito, or Ducati drive might work. However, for a variety of reasons, none of them are an easy fit. Either they drive the wrong way, have a different drive pickup, or would require a custom cable. So I opted for the simple solution.

The bandit wheels have appropriate bearings, and we made spacers to suit – I figured getting a bandit speedo drive bored out to the 25mm spindle diameter would be the easiest option. So I wandered down to Cambridge Motorcycles, and appreciate that Spike took time out from a busy day to help adjust the Bandit drive. As usual, he was patient when I said, “should be a quick 5 minute job” a s he understands that nothing is actually ever that simple!

The Bandit drive takes (just) a 25mm bore, but it’s a weird shape to hold in a lathe ….  as I should never be let anywhere near a lathe – it always ends in misery – Spike (resident machining genius) got stuck in. He needed to make up a collet to hold the bandit speedo drive in the lathe – a relatively simple case of finding some appropriate tubing, adjusting the inner diameter to take the drive and cutting three slots into it. Then placing the collet in the lathe with the chuck biting on the collet and the speedo drive held by the collet. Given the amount of powdering of the inner tube of the speedo drive we reckon it was cast! Anyhow … 6 passes of the lathe and we have a 25mm bore on the speedo drive.

Photo of the adjusted one and an original side by side. You can see how little meat is left.

IMG_8848.jpg

I’ve test fitted the drive to the TL1000/bandit front end and Spike got the inside diameter spot on. All I need is to adjust the wider part of the TL1000S spindle by a few mm and the speedo drive will replace the spacer I am using currently. So I’ll wander down again in the near future and get the spindle’s integral spacer machined back a little to make space. Job will be a gud’un!

Of course …while I know the cable fits both ends, a working speedo will only give me kmh – the max on the Katana 750 import speedo is only 180 of those kmh’s – I’m pretty sure that my bike is capable of more than 111 mph (I assume Suzuki in their wisdom keep the same ratio across models) … so we’ll just have to wait and see what bouncing the pointer off the top does to the speedo!

Advertisements